Sunday, May 15, 2011

Huebeli

























This country is beautiful. I do love the city of Paris but I must say I enjoy the tranquility of Switzerland. It began to rain as I rode the train from Paris to Bern, which was just perfect. Catherine picked me up from the Bahnhof in Bern and Werner and their dog Molino greeted me at home. Werner, with his sweater tied around his shoulders, reminds me so much of my own Papa. They look very much alike and share much of the same humor. I was in awe when I walked into my room at Catherine. A little wooden writing desk is perched up on a small platform and it has the most spectacular view. All I can see is green and the snow-capped Alps in the distance. Catherine made us dinner of salad, potatoes, meat and Zopfe, a bread common in the canton of Bern. She rolled it out to to Werner and me on the little trolley cart and they showed me the popular European song contest, similar to American Idol but with one competitor from each European country. Apparently, it preceded American by about 40 years and Celine Dion got her start on the show singing for Switzerland. The UK boy group performed, each wearing open leather jackets with one just wearing a leather vest--Werner joked that he forgot to finish his costume.


I woke this morning at dawn to the sounds of the birds singing outside my wind and the fresh air after the rain floating through my window. We took a drive to Thun, where my grandfather grew up, and had an amazing Italian meal there of grilled beef and vegetables cooked to perfection with some white wine and semifreddo for desert. Then we watched the horseraces live from Paris...an Englishman with a funny hat smoking a huge cigar was in the background during the interviews with the winners. 'Sehr komisch', Werner laughed.


Catherine showed me some family photos and her and Werner's wedding video. On 5. Juni they will celebrate their 44th wedding anniversary.


I must go as dinner will be prepared soon. I really wish you could see the view from the windows here where I sit.


x x

Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment